LORD OF THE APES
WANDERINGS THROUGH THE WORLD OF PRIMATES

Thursday, February 11

More Late Breaking Bonobo News

... Because I only check some of my RSS feeds on a regular basis.

'Peter Pan' apes never seem to learn selfishness

ScienceDaily (2010-02-01) -- Sharing is a behavior on which day care workers and kindergarten teachers tend to offer young humans a lot of coaching. But for our ape cousins the bonobos, sharing just comes naturally. ... > read full article

Very similar story to last time. I heard about food sharing among bonobos a little while back, which I do not think has been observed in captive studies. Whenever food sharing happens among primates, its a pretty big deal and researchers immediately want to determine the adaptability of such behaviors. Some baboon-ists joke about making their key breakthrough by discovering food sharing in baboons. Hare and Wrangham are pressing towards some highly interesting conclusions.

5 comments:

  1. I can't tell whether your use of "late breaking" is an intentional joke or not.

    Cool new picture of you, by the way. A lot less hairy than your old one.

    CAPTCHA: "aeris"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, something can be unintentionally funny, but can something be an unintentional joke?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I came across your blog via the URL you provided when you commented at my PoDW website. (Didn't you used to post at the once-upon-a-time messageboard, too? I definitely remember your very unique screen name.) Anyway, your blog is fascinating! Your work and writings are really intriguing, and I admire that you had the courage to jump headfirst into such amazing field work that brought you so far from home like this. I'm really looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't remember if I had appeared in your PoDW community before, since it was so long ago, but your mention of the forums reminded me that I did post there back in the day.

    Thanks for noticing!

    ReplyDelete